Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Movies with Pops

I was listening to NPR the week of Halloween and they started talking about Don Knotts and The Ghost and Mr. Chicken . . . which is one of my dad's favorite movies. On the program they were talking about when they were growing up that no matter what else was going on that day, if they knew The Ghost and Mr. Chicken was on they had to watch it. I started thinking about all the random movies I probably never would have watched if it were not for my dad and his ability to make us all laugh. Once we finish watching one of his "favorites" he loves to go back to his favorite part and watch it again . . . like to the part in Romancing the Stone where they get caught up with the drug lord and the “bad guy” is shocked to find out that she is "the Joan Wilder," his favorite author. (I’ve included the script below).

He also has an uncanny ability to remember movie lines. I'll call him after I've watched one of his favorites and he always remembers the best parts and lines. It drives my mom crazy that he can do this yet still not remember people's names. Here are some of the movies that remind me of my dad. . .

· The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (he loves the song from it as well as "Atta boy Luther")
· Romancing the Stone
· Indiana Jones (His Halloween costume for years)
· Star wars
· Vegas Vacation (anything having to do with Cousin Eddie)
· Christmas Vacation
· Top Gun
· The old Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers (we used to watch these on Friday nights growing up)
· Young Frankenstein *

*I did not see Young Frankenstein until I was in college. When I finally saw the movie it explained half of the random things my dad would say and I had no idea where it came from like when walking up stairs . . ."Stay close to zee candles, the staircase can be treacherous"

It has come in handy some times that I’ve seen some of these movies more times than I can count. At my old job I worked with mostly middle-aged men. They were trying to remember the name of housekeeper from the Pink Panther movies that Inspector Clouseau would fight with. I quickly blurted out the name and they were all shocked and could not figure out how I would know that. Thanks dad for watching all these movies with us!

From Romancing the Stone
The Joan Wilder?
You are Joan Wilder, the novelist?
JOAN: Yes, I am.
JUAN: I read your books. I read all your books.
Come in. This is Juanita Wilder!
The one who writes the books that I read to you
on Saturdays.
MAN: Juanita.
.Juanita! .Es Juanita!
- Come in.

No comments: