Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cooking

One of my goals this year was to test one new recipe a week. I am trying to build up my recipe library with ones we really like and things I can make without a lot of extra effort. My mom had our family dinners streamlined and I know it will take me awhile to get there. This week I tried a potato and turnip gratin from Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, split pea soup from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, and a hummus recipe from a friend. They all turned out pretty good. I was nervous about turnips in the gratin, but it tasted great. I still want to try a few other potato gratin recipes to find a favorite. I halved the split pea soup recipe and it was still too much for me and Michael. I get frustrated cooking for two because we will have so much for leftovers that by the time I’ve finished them I never want to eat it again. I wish I had pictures of my little creations! Maybe next time.

Here is our small list of the regulars in our recipe library. . .

Black-eyed peas salsa recipe
Broek’s French Toast
Firemeat (A Kakadelas favorite)
Lorraine's French dip (Michael's favorite)
Lemon Chicken
Leah’s Chicken Pot Pie
Deanne's Curried Chicken
Barefoot Contessa's Parmesan Mashed Potatoes recipe
Twice baked potatoes
Pizza with the dough from Trader Joe’s
My mom’s soft Oreos

1 comment:

jean13i said...

Send me the Firemeat recipe, please!

I just made your Mom's Oreos for a party tonight, substituting peppermint/candy cane frosting for the regular cream cheese.